PEANUT BUTTERNUT BITES
I have no qualms about buying dog treats from the store. All the brands we support list ingredients and we feel good about what we see.
I had some time to kill on a rainy spring day and found a very simple recipe for some yummy puppy treats so I figured I'd give it a shot. It was also Jasper's gotcha day so I wanted to do something a little extra special for my special boy.
All ingredients are "dog friendly", and butternut squash is considered to be a nutrient rich snack for our fluffy ones, but please make sure that your dog has no sensitivities or allergies to anything listed below.
- 1 cup butternut squash
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flower
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (or bacon grease or chicken fat)
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine squash, PB, eggs, and oil in a bowl mixing bowl. Add in the flour and baking soda and mix until a dough forms. I just used a fork, no fancy tools required.
- Scoop desired size into your hands and roll into a ball OR roll out flat and use cute little doggy bone cookie cutters. Pro tip: a wine bottle can double as a rolling pin ;)
- Place onto a greased baking tray. Leave 'em in the oven for 15 minutes and you're ready to go!
- BONUS: if you would like to make a glaze*, combine coconut oil and peanut butter and drizzle on top.
- Let cool and serve to your thankful and deserving pup!
Let me know how they turn out, or share your favorite homemade dog treat recipes for others to enjoy!
*I found that soaking the balls in glaze and then freezing made for fluffier treats.
**Store in the fridge/freezer until you give them to your pup, otherwise...they mold (yuck)